Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cookie-Sour Cream Cake












As most of you know, I have a site which I named A Book and A Dish.  At this site I post book reviews and the book author's favorite recipe.  When I did my review for The Salvation of Tanlegalle, Author Tim Ahrens send a recipe for Cookie-Sour Cream Cake.  Due to time, I don't normally make the recipes sent to me by the authors but this recipe caught my eye.  Most of you know that I can't leave a recipe as it is.  I have to make at least one change and in this case my changes simplified the recipe.  When you go to my site A Book and A Dish you will find the original but until then, here is my version.

1 yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup water
2 eggs
16-20 cream-filled sandwich cookies
Icing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 round cake pans or a 13x9x2" baking sheet.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients except cookies.  Beat on high speed 2 minutes.  Coarsely chop cookies and stir into batter.  Pour into pans.  Bake round pans 30-35 minutes; rectangular pan 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pans for about 10 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack to cool completely.  Top with pre-made icing and sprinkle with 2-3 chopped cookies.

Notes:  I divided my batter and used chocolate sandwich cookies in one and vanilla sandwich cookies in the other.  Changes:  Use coconut, peanut butter, banana, etc. cookies, change the flavor of the cake mix and/or change the flavor of the icing.

No comments: