Thursday, May 25, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 6



You May Need More Water If You're Physically Active


Increased activity like exercise or physical labor can increase the amount of fluid lost when you sweat. It's best to drink two to three cups of water before your activity begins and drink about one cup of water every 15 minutes or so while you're active. You might need even more if you're working or exercising in extreme temperatures.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 5



You May Need More Water If You Can't Think Straight

Water is essential for brain function. Studies show that a loss of about two percent of your body fluid can cause a decline in mental function, so if you're having trouble concentrating, it may be time for a water break. 

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 4



There are some things that can cause bad breath like eating onions or garlic. But another potential reason is a lack of normal saliva production. Even mild dehydration can reduce saliva flow so if your bad breath is accompanied by a dry mouth, drinking more water throughout the day may help. Keep a glass of water by your bedside for nighttime relief, too.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 3



Thirst is the desire to drink something. It can be triggered by the loss of fluid volume in and around cells and in the blood. Thirst is your body's way of saying you need water to avoid dehydration.


Thirst has a behavioral component as well and can be triggered by aromas and flavors, so just thinking about your favorite beverage can make you thirsty. It's also important to note that older people often have problems with the thirst mechanism and may not feel thirsty even when they're dehydrated.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 2



How Do You Know If You're Drinking Enough Water?


Most people can gauge their water intake by looking at urine color. If you're getting enough water, your urine will be pale yellow, and you'll urinate several times a day. Urine color doesn't work for everyone. Taking dietary supplements that contain riboflavin will make your urine bright yellow, and certain medications can change the color of your urine, as well. And if you have any kidney problems or other heath conditions you should talk to your health care provider about how much water to drink.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Your Body and Water - Part 1



I'm still trying to eat and drink with health in mind so when I found this I decided it was too good not to share.  It's from a site called Very Well. 

Your body contains more water than anything else, about 60 percent of your total body weight. Water helps regulate your body temperature, transports nutrients, and helps remove waste. Every day you lose water when you breathe, sweat, urinate, and defecate, and that water needs to be replenished. 

The big question is how much water do you need to drink every day? Although that's a simple question, it doesn't have an easy answer. It depends on some environmental and physical factors that can change every day. Also, it's not just the water you drink – about 20 percent of your water intake comes from the foods you eat. The remaining 80 percent comes from beverages, including water, coffee, tea, milk, and anything liquid.

The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy reviewed years of research evidence on adequate water intake and has the following recommendations:
Men: 13 cups (about 10.5 cups from beverages)
Women: 9 cups (about 7 cups from beverages)
Pregnant women: 10 cups (about 8 cups from beverages)

Breastfeeding women: 13 cups (about 10.5 cups from beverages)