Healthy Eating - Indian
This is a cuisine that offers plenty of healthy dishes. You'll find healthful legumes, chicken, fish, vegetables, and yogurt featured on the menu. Basmati rice is also featured in Indian cuisine, though it is usually white-basmati rice. Curry, cumin, coriander, and other flavorful seasonings add exotic and delicious flavors. Indian cooks use ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil to prepare dishes like curries, vindaloos, and rice dishes - but some chefs have a heavier hand with the fat than others so be sure to request that your food be prepared with a minimum of added fat. When eating Indian food you might want to try these.
1. Vegetable and dahl (lintel or bean) soups.
2. Chapati (a whole-wheat tortilla-like bread)
3. Raita (a cold side dish made of cucumbers or other vegetables with yogurt sauce)
4. Chutney (a spicy accompaniment to meals)
5. Vegetable, chicken, or seafood biryanis (basmati rice dishes)
6. Vegetable, seafood, and chicken curry dishes (avoid those made with large amounts of coconut or coconut milk)
7. Chicken or Shrimp Vindallo (in a hot and spicy tomato, onion, and curry sauce)
8. Tandoori chicken or fish (chicken marinated in yogurt and spices and baked in a clay oven)
9. Lamb or chicken kabobs
10. Dahls (legume dishes)