Friday, August 11, 2017

How to Waste Less and Save #2



#2 - If a recipe calls for spinach but you have kale in the fridge, make the swap.  You can also sub in pears for apples in a fruit crumble; leftover fish for chicken or beef in tacos; and fresh oregano for basil or thyme in a sauce.  Recipes are not set in stone!

COMMENT:  This is exactly what I 'preach' in my cookbooks - Think With Your Taste Buds.  I take it a step further by saying if you don't like an item substitute it for something you do like.  So, if your recipe calls for asparagus but you don't like asparagus and never buy it but do have some broccoli that needs to be used, 'think with your taste buds'.  They will tell you if the recipe will work in your own taste favor or should I say flavor.  If I have chicken that needs to be cooked I frequently go through the Pork section of cookbooks to come up with a new recipe and taste.  Seldom has this practice failed me.

No comments: