Thursday, August 10, 2017

How to Waste Less and Save #1



I found these tips in Woman's Day by Nutrition Expert Joy Bauer, RDN.  They are all worth sharing.

#1 - Keep foods that spoil relatively fast, such as dairy products and soft fruit, in the front of your fridge or on the counter so you are more likely to grab them.  If there are cans of unexpired soup in your cupboard that you know you won't use in time, donate them to a local food pantry.

COMMENTS:  I try to make myself clean out the refrigerator at least twice a month.  Yes, I find food items in the back of the shelf that I apparently pushed back after a trip to the grocery store.  There have been cucumbers that have gotten soft because they were at the back of the crisper drawer.  Milk that was hiding behind a jug of grape juice or vice versa.  So, for me, moving them to the front and keeping them there just might be my answer.  And to save even more money, I now try to go through my pantry shelves at least twice a month, checking the dates of my foods and moving those that expire 1st to the front.

No comments: