Friday, February 10, 2012

Turnip Slaw


I'm not a turnip fan.  I love turnip greens (yes I'm from the south!) but I've never cared for the turnips cooked.  I did love to eat them like you would an apple though.  I would peel, slice, salt and chow down.  To me they had the flavor of cabbage which I love just about any way it can be served.

One of the men I work with brought in 2 five gallon buckets full of raw turnips from his garden.  He didn't eat them and didn't know what to do with them.  I hate to see anything go to waste so I brought some home to see what I could come up with.  Then it hit me.  Like I said, they taste like cabbage so why not make slaw.  I had drop-in company for dinner and decided to see if I could fool them.  I asked both if they liked turnips and both said NO!  I didn't mention them again until after dinner.

I made the slaw using shredded turnips instead of cabbage.  I did realize that the color was all white so I shredded just enough cabbage to add a few specks of green.  Both of my guests raved about the slaw!  After dinner I told both they had just eaten 'Turnip Slaw.'  Neither could believe it.

No comments: