Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Caramel Walnut Pie


The original recipe had a different pie shell recipe.  I used this crust recipe because I had used it with pecan tarts and it's wonderful!  The flavor from the butter and cream cheese really accents the flavor of the pie.  The original recipe also called for unsweetened chocolate to be sprinkled on the bottom of the crust before adding the filling.  I omitted that ingredient.  The texture of this pie is a little firmer than what you normally find in a pecan pie making it easier to cut.  For changes, add the chocolate, use pecans or even peanuts instead of the walnuts.  Or add some coco to the crust mixture making it a chocolate crust.  One tip, I cooked my pie about 35 minutes so your cooking time will vary depending upon your oven.  Also, it's important to use a thermometer to know when your filling reaches 245 degrees. See the complete recipe by going to Martha's Recipe Cabinet.

No comments: