Monday, November 7, 2011

Crusty Baked Fish


This recipe came to me by way of a friend.  I'll post it as she sent with my changes added.

nonstick cooking spray
1 egg white
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (out of all-purpose, used self-rising)
1/4 cup cornmeal (used self-rising)
1/4 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs) (used about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp. salt-free Cajun seasoning (didn't have Cajun so I used Old Bay)
1 lb. catfish fillets, halved (4 pieces) (don't like Catfish so I used Talapia)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spray the surface of a flat, non-stick baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  (You may ask why spray a non-stick  pan with non-stick spray - it acts like oil in the pan.  You can also get this effect by spraying the meat while cooking).  In a shallow bowl beat egg white until it forms soft peaks.  Place flour on a sheet of wax paper.  On another sheet combine cornmeal, panko and seasoning.  Dip fish in  the flour and shake off excess.  Dip in the egg white.  Roll in the cornmeal mixture.  Place on baking pan.  Spray the tops of the fish with cooking spray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms of the fish are browned and the fish is sizzling.  Remove from the oven and turn the fish over.  Return to oven and bake about 5 minutes longer or until the fillets are browned and crisp.

Comments:  I personally love my fish with a crispy crust.  I also love the slight taste of cornmeal.  I found both with this recipe.  It was like having good ole "fried" fish without the grease and smell. And as you can see, I didn't let my being out of something keep me from enjoying a good dish.  I simply decided to Think With Your Taste Buds

No comments: