Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kibbles & Bits For Humans


My Niece ask for some simple recipes to work up for the super bowl game.  I referred her to the wonderful Pace Stuffed Mushrooms but decided to see what else I could work up.  So, this is what I came up with.

I'm sure most of you have found yourself with packages of just a little of this and a little of that but not enough to do anything with.  I've found a way to use those almost ready to throw away packages.  I looked around my kitchen and found a few thin pretzels (about 2/3 cup after I broke them in half), a few corn tortilla chips that I had used for scooping salsa (about 1/2 cup after breaking them into bite size pieces), about 3-4 cups of oat cereal waiting for someone to finish off.  I dumped everything in a large baking pan, added some pecan halves, a stick of butter chopped up, a few splashes of hot sauce and enough Montreal steak seasoning to fit my taste.

After mixing everything together I placed the pan in a 325 degree oven for about an hour stirring about every 15 minutes and testing to make sure I have enough seasoning. 

Changes - I really love the combined taste of all the items I put in my Kibbles but the flavors can be changed just by adding different seasonings as well as main ingredients.  You change or add to the nuts.  I will admit that I added walnuts and didn't like them so I took them out but you might like the addition.  You can add the small cheese crackers such as "fish" or use the traditional square cereals.  Remember - Think With Your Taste Buds.

No comments: