Sunday, July 27, 2014

Book Resque


As many of you already know, I rescue books.  All books.  Any book.  I simply can't stand to see a book destroyed.  This started when I went to a thrift store and the owner told me her church had a room full of books.  She said there were over 1,000.  I ask if I could get permission to go through them and she said that if I had ask that a week before the answer would have been yes.  Since then, they had sent ALL of them to the recycle plant.

Books are becoming a thing of the past and I really hate to see that happen.  Everything is going to ebooks.  Don't get me wrong, I have a Nook and a Kindle and love both.  I can slip them into my purse, take them anywhere and enjoy reading my books even in the dark.  But I still love to hold a book in my hands and turn the paper pages.  I also love the smell of a library.  But, as I said, that is becoming a thing of the past.  So many book stores are and have closed.  Libraries are closing.  Our reading is now done on our little devices after we've ordered our books using the same device.

So, my quest is to save as many books as possible.  I find them through Estate sales, thrift stores, and yard sales.  At the moment I have about 700 books in bookcases that actually cover one of the walls in my bedroom.  I love to read these books and even cook from them.  Some are old and if you follow my blog you may have noticed some of the older ones that I've modernized.  But... as I found out a year or so ago, all good things must come to an end.  That is why I started an Ebay store that I call "Book Resque."  Since then I've found homes for about 300 books.  I buy them cheap and sell them cheap just to keep them in circulation.  So, if you love books as much as I do, check out my store and help me find homes for those that are lucky enough to be rescued and not sent to the recycle plant.

Most of my books are cookbooks but I've started picking up children books and am always on the lookout for those really old ones.  Some of my books are over 100 years old and need a good home.  Oh yeah.  I do throw in a few stamps and older small items now and then that need a home.

No comments: