Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Doggie Cookies


1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1 cup boiling beef broth
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. white sugar
2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg, beaten (or 2 to make treats softer for older dogs)
3 cups whole wheat flour

Combine oats and margarine/butter, and boiling beef broth in a large bowl.  Let stand and soften for 10 minutes.  Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, peanut butter and eggs.  Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough comes together.  You can roll this out and cut with a cookie cutter or you can do as I did and roll into 1" balls and press flat.  Place on a baking dish lined with parchment paper.  Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.  Makes 60 cookies. 

I've been giving my dog what is supposed to be one of the best doggie treats on the market.  I especially liked giving him the 'chicken jerky' treat this company made.  Then I received an email that even though the company is American the chicken comes from China and several thousand dogs have become sick and some even died.  I threw them away and went searching for some homegrown, natural treats.  I found some but their prices were a bit pricey.  I found the recipe above and decided to try making my own, hoping Jesse would like them.  He, as well as 5 of his friends LOVE them!  And they aren't that expensive to make.  Don't have the whole wheat flour and rolled oats?  Do like I did and hit the health food store where you can buy as much or as little as you want.

No comments: