Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thumbprint Cookies


A few days ago I ran across a site that had a recipe that caught my eye.  I wish I had the name of the site where I found these but don't.  It's for Thumbprint Cookies and I wanted to share so here it is:

Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup Almonds (I used almond slivers)
1 cup Rolled Oats (I used the Old Fashion kind)
(I added 1 cup unsweetened coconut)
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (Plain)
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp. Salt
Jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put almonds and oats (coconut too if you use) in a food processor.  Pulse until everything is coarsely ground.  Pour into a large bowl and combine flour, oil, syrup and salt.  Stir to combine.  (I used my hands to mix)  Shape into walnut sized balls and place on a baking sheet about 2" apart or put into mini muffin tins.  (I used the muffin tins)  Press your thumb gently down into the center of each cookie to make an indention.  Fill each indention with jam.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden born and firm.  Transfer to a rack to cool.  Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.

For my jam I used Polaner All Fruit with Fiber.  It's sweetened with fruit juice helping to keep the cookies healthy.  I used Black Cherry and Strawberry and wished I had bought the Apricot too.  They are delicious.  Not too sweet and would actually be great in place of a breakfast bar with coffee. 

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Fancy cookies! They look delicious.