Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Storing Beans and Grains


I keep a lot of rice and beans on hand in my pantry but I've never been quite sure how long they will keep.  I know that most have a sell by date but that doesn't mean they have to be eaten by that date so again I went searching for answers.

Dry beans are easy to keep and can be stored at room temperature up to 1 year or even longer in the freezer.  Whole grains have a shorter storage life because they contain an oil-rich germ that can become rancid.  Whole grains should always be purchased in smaller quantities and kept in tightly covered containers.

Here are a few guidelines for grains:

Pearl and Scotch barley can be stored up to 1 year in a cool, dry place (other forms of barley up to 9 months).
Buckwheat kept in a cool, dry place can be stored up to 3 months.  In the refrigerator 6 months and in the freezer for 1 year.
Bulgur stores up to 6 months in a cool, dry place or indefinitely in the freezer.
Cornmeal can store up to 6 months in a cool, dry place or up to 1 year in the refrigerator or freezer.
Oats should be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months or in the freezer for a year.
Rye Berries will keep up to 5 months in the refrigerator or freezer.
White and Wild Rice stores indefinitely in a cool, dry place.  But Brown Rice will only store up to 6 months under the same conditions.
Whole or Cracked Wheat can be kept up to 6 months in a cool, dry place or up to 1 year in the freezer.
Wheat Bran will store up to 1 month in a cool, dry place, up to 3 months in the refrigerator or up to 1 year in the freezer.  But Wheat Germ will only store up to 3 months in the refrigerator.

I sometimes buy bulk at my nearby health food store and in doing so I usually pay just a bit more because what I'm buying is organic and fresh.  The information above has helped me save money by knowing how to store my rice, beans and grains properly.

No comments: