Thursday, January 23, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Bugs!


I love going to the market to buy fresh veggies and fruit but often wonder if just washing them off under running water really gets rid of all the little bugs that might be housing on my food.  I'm especially concerned when it comes to veggies like broccoli, cabbage and anything leafy.  When I bring my produce home I always wash before putting away but still wonder if everything is gone.  Well now I know how to 'Evict' the bug for sure.

Find a container large enough for to hold what you want washed.  Add a few tablespoons of salt or vinegar.  Add your veggie and let it soak for about 15 minutes.  If there are any bugs hanging around, they will end up in the water.  I've tried this with my broccoli, cabbage, beans, and collards.  And yes I've found floating bugs that I may not have found through simple washing.

No comments: