Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Acidic Foods



Another problem I seem to have with my stomach is heartburn after eating acidic foods.  So, what do I do when I want that slice of orange or glass of juice?  Here is what I found.


Even if you have the best intentions, many healthful fruits and vegetables, like oranges, lemons, grapefruit, and tomatoes, may increase your risk for acid reflux and GERD due to their acidity.  The best way to prevent this is to remove acidic foods from your diet but if that just isn’t going to happen and you still want to eat these fruits and vegetables once and awhile, don’t do it on an empty stomach.  Other foods, especially carbs, will absorb some of the acids and help prevent some of the heartburn.  But don’t overeat them no matter what you’ve already eaten.  

I may not give up my favorite foods completely but at least I know I can eat them in moderation and along with something some of my favorite carbs.  

No comments: