Saturday, February 1, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Slicing, Dicing, Etc.


When a recipe calls for mince, dice, chop, slice, cube or Julienne do you know what it actually means?  In the past I've just sort of guessed but no more.  I now know the difference.

Chop means to cut the food with a knife or food processor into fine, medium or course irregular pieces.
Cube means to cut the food into uniform pieces, usually 1/2" on all sides.
Dice means to cut the food into uniform pieces, usually 1/8 to 1/4" on all sides.
Julienne means to cut food into thin match like sticks about 2" long.  For easier cutting, first cut food into slices and then cut them lengthwise into strips 1/8 to 1/4" wide.
Mince means to chop a food into tiny irregular pieces.
and
Slice means to cut the food into flat, thin pieces.  But if it says to Bias-slice that means a food is cut crosswise at a 45 degree angle.

Now I cut my foods up the way they were meant to be and after doing my knife research, I'm using the correct knife, I hope.

No comments: