Monday, November 18, 2013

I Didn't Know - Artificial Sweeteners


As I age I find that different foods have started causing a few problems with my digestive system, so I did some research.  This will be posted in parts so I won't overwhelm everyone with so much information.  I'm calling these posts "I Didn't Know."
 
How it affects you: If you like to cut calories by adding artificial sweetener rather than real sugar to your coffee, you may be affecting your digestion and increasing inflammation in your body. “In general, sweeteners which are partially digested (sugar alcohols) have the biggest impact on the GI system and can lead to bloat, gas, and diarrhea,” according nutritionist and dietitian Erin Palinski-Wade. 

What you can do: Experiment with the multitude of artificial sweeteners that are on the market and determine which affects you the least, suggests Palinski-Wade, who recommends using natural sweeteners, such as agave nectar. “This is not calorie-free, but because it is sweeter than sugar, less is needed, helping to reduce carbohydrates and calories,” says Palinski-Wade.

No comments: