Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Baked Bacon



I hate to fry bacon!  And the microwave type never seems to cook evenly.  I end up with some of the bacon being burned, some crispy and some limp...  all 3 in just 1 piece of bacon!  The other day I found that I had a package of bacon that needed to be cooked but I wasn't ready to eat it just yet.  Soooo I preheated the oven to 400, lined a cookie sheet with sides with foil, put my bacon down trying to keep it from touching and stuck it in the oven.  I couldn't get the full package to fit the one pan but that was ok too.

The 1st pieces of bacon were ready in about 8 minutes after being turned once about half way through.  About half of the bacon was done after the 8 minutes and these were around the outer edges.  I removed them and added the rest of the bacon.  After about 4 minutes I was able to remove the rest of the 1st batch and turn the 2nd batch, removing them in about 4 more minutes.

When I fry bacon it pops and makes a mess of my stove.  To get it to cook evenly and not curl I usually have to cut it in half and use a bacon press.  Not with this method!  It didn't curl, it stayed flat without the press and it didn't seem to shrink very much.  My cooked bacon came out with the crispy texture I wanted and perfect for just about any use.

Now... I still didn't need a whole package of bacon so I put it in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator.  To use it I simply put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds (700 watt) and it comes out warm and perfect with no burning.

This may sound like it takes longer but it really doesn't and it's so much better than frying or microwaving.

No comments: