Monday, April 8, 2013

Think With Your Taste Buds - Beef

 
Check out this wonderful review for Think With Your Taste Buds - Beef that was posted on Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Carnivore's Dream Come True! February 21, 2013


Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase

I'm married to a carnivore. My man loves meat, and no meat more than beef! So when I found "Think With Your Taste Buds: Beef" I bought it right away. This is the cookbook by Martha Cheves, whose recipes and wisdom I've enjoyed in "Stir, Laugh, Repeat" and in "A Book and A Dish," and by Lillian Mort.

Yorkshire Pudding is one of the recipes I discovered among what must be 100 scrumptious beef dishes in the book! I have not had Yorkshire Pudding in years, and I've never made it myself. But now that I have the recipe, it's going to be Sunday dinner! And imagine my joy at discovering a cabbage roll recipe, which Grandma -- just like Lillian's family -- called Halupka and made with tomato sauce. And there's also the Tater Tot Hot Dish, a good friend brought me after a death in our family. I had been so distraught that I'd forgotten to eat and couldn't believe how good this dish tasted. Well, now that I have the recipe, I will make it again and again. Or return the favor and make it for a sick friend, or for a church potluck. And I never had Bacon Burger Rolls, but that's what I'm going to feed my readers' group next time it's my turn to host, or I could whip it up for a fun easy meal treat for hubby and me while watching a movie!

And speaking of my carnivorous husband, his favorites in this bunch are the Pepper Steak and the Burgundy Beef. He wants to try his own hand at making those recipes himself. I'll be there to look over his shoulder for sure. But that's what's so good about the recipes in this book; it doesn't matter if you're a beginner or expert, they'll work for you.

Another part of the book that I enjoyed tremendously is when the two authors chitchat about the dish, how it can be adapted. Loved having Lillian tell us how her sister, Lois, preferred Rotel tomatoes while she preferred them diced, or how she would substitute yellow peppers for green, or adjust something in the seasonings, or who introduced her to a recipe when and where. And then the two talk about how else you can change the dish or what else would be good with it.

And that's what "Think With Your Taste Buds: Beef" is all about. The permission to use your own creativity, to substitute, to change, and to experiment to suit your own taste budsand what you happen to have in your pantry.

"Think With Your Taste Buds: Beef" is a carnivore's dream come true!

No comments: