Sunday, December 11, 2011

Woopie Pies


Until recently I had never heard of a Woopie Pie but now there are recipes popping up all over the place.  Some are made from scratch and some are made with a cake mix.  Well I like to keep it simple so I decided to give them a try using a cake mix.  So here is the recipe I used.

1 cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix cake mix, eggs, water and oil.  Spoon 1 Tbsp. on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or non-stick foil.  Bake about 8 - 10 minutes or until done.  Cool completely on a rack.

Icing -
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 jar (13 oz.) Marshmallow Fluff
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 oz. cream cheese, softened

On med. speed, mix until combined.  Spread over flat side of one cookie and top with the flat side of another making a sandwich. 

Now comes the fun part.  I always like to Think With My Taste Buds so to keep from having to make several batches I decided to add my flavors to the icing.  After spreading icing on one of my cookies I sprinkled some with coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, toffee, finely chopped nuts and some with combinations using coconut and chocolate chips, etc.  I also made a few mini cakes by putting about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of the cake mix into muffin tins and baking them for about 8-10 minutes or until done.  These were cooled and iced with my icing and topped with different flavors such as cherries, sprinkles and even a mix of coconut and pecans.  These cookies are perfect to make with the kids.

1 comment:

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love whoopie pies. I make them with my class.

My married daughter say a pan to make them with and bought it for me. She said, she could not imagine who would want it but figured she would give it a shot.

It was nice having the same size cookies for this. No, everyone does not need a pan like this.