Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hushpuppy Cornbread

This was one of my Think With Your Taste Bud moments.  I had made a pot of soup and wanted some cornbread to go with it so when I went to get out my cornmeal I spotted a bag of Hushpuppy Mix.  I thought "why not?"  I looked at the directions and it required that you add water only.  Well, I decided to give it a try but to use buttermilk instead of water.  I mixed 2 cups of the Hushpuppy Mix with enough buttermilk that would make it smooth and creamy.  I sat that aside, put a little cooking oil in my cast iron frying pan and let it heat up while my oven heated to 400 degrees.  When the pan was ready I added enough water to make the mix the consistency of cake batter and poured it into the hot skillet.  All that was left was to bake until golden brown and EAT!  The onion and garlic flavors in the Hushpuppy Mix gave the cornbread a wonderful flavor.  I think I could have eaten the whole pan.

No comments: