Saturday, May 7, 2016

Sweet Potato Hash Browns



1 medium sweet potato
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. sugar
Pinch of cloves - to taste

Peel the sweet potato and grate as you would for hash browns.  Melt the butter.  Stir the sugar into the butter.  Toss melted butter into the grated potato.  Spray a non-stick frying pan with non-stick spray.  Over medium high heat 'fry' the potatoes until done, allowing some to actually brown.  Sprinkle with cloves.  Serves 2

Comment:  When I was a kid my Mom would make fried sweet potatoes.  She would cut them into strips and fry them in butter allowing some to brown.  When they were done she would sprinkle them with sugar instead of salt.  This was a delicious dessert for us.  I decided to try grating my potatoes and see if I could get the same taste without all the butter that was required when she fried hers.  This worked perfectly!  I could eat these every day!  If you don't like cloves you can sprinkle a little nutmeg or cinnamon or nothing at all.

No comments: