Saturday, February 14, 2015

Fruits and Vegetables that are Dangerous for Dogs



My dog is my best friend so I try to stay up on what is good and not so good for him to eat.  I receive emails information from my vet now and then with sites that I find quite informative.  This is one he sent that I want to share.  It comes from Vet Street.


Onions, garlic, leeks and chives, which are all members of the Allium genus, can damage healthy red blood cells, leading to life-threatening anemia.  Cooking these household staples won't make them any less toxic, so leave them out of your pet's diet no matter how they're prepared.

Grapes or Raisins may look harmless, but they can cause illness and kidney damage in dogs.  Clinical signs can occur within 24 hours of eating and include, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Raw Potatoes can be risky for your pup, especially if it has any green parts or sprouts.  Potatoes contain solanin, a toxin that can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and severe stomach upset.

Wild mushrooms can be pretty, but they can also be deadly for dogs.  Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can range from vomiting and hallucinating to liver failure and death.  There are many different species of mushrooms and toxicity levels differ, so to be safe, keep your animal away from all wild mushrooms.

Apple Cores with seeds and stems are a no no.  It's fine for your dog to eat an apple slice or two but don't give him the core, seeds, stems and leaves which contain cyanide, a toxin that can cause dilated puples, panting, difficulty breathing and shock.  You'll also want to be cautious about other fruits with seeds, such as watermelon - offer only the fruit, not the seeds, stems or leaves.

Stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, plums and cherries are not safe for dogs - their pits can be choking hazards.  And choking isn't the only problem with these fruits.  The stems, leaves and pits of apricots, plums, peaches and cherries also contain cyanide.


Rhubarb Leaves are toxic to pets so if you're making a rhubarb pie, make sure you carefully dispose of the leaves.  They can cause kidney failure and tremors.
Post a Comment