Friday, January 13, 2017

Potato Masher Twist



'Potato Masher Twist' - a straight down move and then a slight twist of the wrist.

Did you know that potato mashers have more uses than just mashing potatoes?  Well, they do.  I've found just a few and if you think about it I'm sure you can come up with more.  Here are just a couple of things I do beside mashing the potatoes.

When one of my ingredients calls for browned ground beef I've found that you can crumble it by using your trusty old potato masher.  You simply smash down and give it a little twist.  You can do this after the meat is cooked but it's a lot easier if you do it as it's cooking.

When I make my beef veggie soup I like to cook the meat until it's falling apart.  To help it along I use the 'Potato Masher Twist'.  This breaks the meat up to the size you want it to be.

Mixing butter and flour is made a little easier by using the potato masher.  It won't do the job completely but it sure is a quick start allowing you to only use your hands near the end.  This also works with cream cheese.

When I made my sausage balls this year I started my blend of flour, sausage and cheese using the masher.

These are just a few of my uses.  I would love for you to post any other uses you've found for this remarkable little tool.  There is just one thing that I have to warn you about.  Make sure you use the type pictured above.  If you try doing this with one that has holes it will work but not as well and it's a lot harder to clean up.

Waiting to hear from you!

No comments: