Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bounce - It's not just for your laundry.


Summer is just around the corner and that means the bugs will be coming out.  I ran across this list of uses for Bounce dryer sheets that, to me, is worth giving a try.

1.  The U. S. Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away.  I did ask my mail carrier and he said this is true and that it does work.  Gonna give this a try.
2.  It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.  It also repels mice. Bet you could put a few around the picnic table to keep ants away and maybe even flys.  It is worth a try.
3.  Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting.  It will keep the mice from entering your vehicle.  Not sure if they are talking about vehicles and trailers that aren’t in use but I would think so.
4.  It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don’t get opened too often.  I will say this works.  I buy books from Estate sales and never know if the previous owner was a smoker.  Putting just a small piece of this in the book takes away all odors so I don’t smell cigarette smoke if it’s there.
5.  It repels mosquitoes.  Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.  This does work.  I use this last year when I would go for walks.
6.  Eliminate static electricity from your television (or computer) screen by wiping it with a Bounce.  This one I haven’t tried and probably won’t.  I’m afraid that some of the residue on the Bounce might come off on the screens.
7.  Dissolve soap scum from shower doors.  Clean them with a sheet of Bounce.  It doesn’t exactly tell how this is done but I may try wetting a sheet to see if it works.
8.  To freshen the air in your home place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.  I think this would work pretty well in a drawer but I’m not sure how long the scent would last in a closet.  Worth a try.
9.  Put a Bounce sheet in the vacuum cleaner.  This sounds possible so I’ll give it a try.
10.  Prevent thread from tangling by running a threaded needle through a sheet of bounce before you begin sewing.  I think this would work a lot like wax and can see it working.
11.  Prevent musty suitcases by placing a sheet inside empty luggage before storing.  I can see this working.
12.  To freshen the air in your car place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.  This too I can see working, especially in the summer when the car heats up.
13.  Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan.  Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight and sponge clean.  The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and pan.  This is interesting.  I want to give this a try with one of my casserole dishes.
14.  Eliminate odors in wastebaskets by placing a sheet at the bottom of the basket.  I can see this working with a wastebasket that is used for paper products only.  Just not sure how long it would last.
15.  Collect cat hair by rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce.  It will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.  I don’t have a cat but I’m sure that if this works it will work on dog hair too.  Possibly even human.
16.  Wipe blinds with a sheet of bounce to prevent dust form resettling after dusting.  If this works it would sure lengthen the life of blinds, at least for me.  I don’t wash my blinds.  Due to their low cost, I just replace them.  This would give my blinds a longer life before replacing.  I will give this a try.
17.  Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering.  A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.  That sounds like something worth trying.  I wonder if it will collect dirt that doesn’t quite make it into the dust pan. 
18.  Eliminate odors in dirty laundry by placing a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the hamper.  I can see this working with clothes but I’m not so sure it would work very well with anything damp such as towels.  But it might.
19.  Deodorize shoes or sneakers by placing a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.  Now this is a great idea!  I will try this tonight.
20.  Golfers put Bounce sheets in their back pockets to keep the bees away.  If it works for the mail carriers it should work for golfers too but I’m not sure I would have thought about them.
21.  Put Bounce sheets in your sleeping bags and tent before folding and storing them.  It will keep them smelling fresh.  This would probably be good to do even when in use to keep the bugs away.
22.  Wet a Bounce sheet, hose down your car, and wipe love bugs off easily.  I could have used this a few years ago when I drove from Florida to NC during the love bug season.
23.  Put a sheet of Bounce in your suitcase when traveling, it will help keep mites or any other critters out of it.  While you are at it, travel with several sheets and run them up and down your bed linen before getting into bed, it will cause all the critters already in your bed to run.  Keep a sheet in your suitecase even after you have unpacked to protect your suitecases from bugs nesting in it.   I always worry about hotel beds and the possibility of bed bugs.  Hopefully this will be something to keep them away.

If any of you try any of these tips, please leave comments on this post for everyone to read.



No comments: