Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Flour and Cornstarch


There have been times that I find myself out of flour and need a thickener so I turn to cornstarch.  This doesn't happen often but it has happened.  Now comes the question.  When substituting how much do I use?



Generally, for each cup of medium-thick sauce, you use 2 Tbsp. of flour mixed with 1/4 cup of cold water.  OR you use 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. of cold water.  Be sure to thoroughly mix the water with the the starch or flour to prevent lumps.  I use a whisk to blend my flour and water and whenever possible I also use it when adding it to the liquid.  After stirring the thickener into the liquid, cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.  Cook and stir 1 minute more for flour and 2 minutes more for cornstarch to allow the thickener to completely cook.

Now I have a guide for substituting!

No comments: