Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Didn't Know That - Bacon


I love bacon and love to add it to some of my dishes.  Over the years I've cooked many pounds and have always had the same complaint - my bacon curls and shrinks.  So, again while reading one of my older cookbooks I ran across some answers to this problem and more.  Here is what I found.

To keep bacon slices from sticking together, roll the package into a tube shape and secure it with rubber bands before refrigerating.  I've tried this and it does work.  I roll from the sort end not the long end.  Yes it takes up more room but it does keep it from sticking together. 

Now for my curling bacon.  Soak it in cold water for a few minutes before frying.  This will not keep it from curling completely but it will keep the curling down.  And to reduce some of the shrinking, put the bacon in a cold skillet and prick them with a fork as they fry.  Yep, this works too. 

Now if you want your bacon to curl for maybe an appetizer  you cook it slow but don't let it get crispy.  Then take it from the skillet and twist it around the tins of a fork.  Pierce each curl with a wooden toothpick and broil under a low flame to complete crisping. 


And for those 'bacon bowls' that I've been seeing on TV.  I took my muffin pan, turned it face down in another baking dish.  Wrapped my bacon around the tins creating a cup like they show on TV.  Cooked it in the oven at 375 degrees until crispy.  Cooled and removed.  This actually works.  The cooking time depends on the thickness of your bacon as well as how many slices you use to make your bowl.  These are really neat and make some cute dishes that kids will even love.  I filled mine with cooked grits and an over-easy egg.  Yum!

No comments: